Guys, it’s time to get real. How many of you had serious skincare routines in your 20s? You may have thought about it, or even invested in products – but it was probably not your biggest priority. But when you get older and start to notice the effects of a busy lifestyle, regular makeup use and plain ol’ time on your skin, you wonder why you didn’t get started sooner. It’s never too early to adopt an effective skincare routine, and once you dive in it’ll become second nature, just like putting on your makeup each morning. The thing is, the ingredients in quality skincare products are doing a lot of work behind the scenes! Moisturizers and sunscreens and everything else I mention below are necessary whether or not you’ve noticed any signs of aging quite yet. If you’re in your 30s and not yet making these moves – now’s the time to buckle down. Don’t worry, it’s not as hard as it seems, and you’ll be SO glad you took preventative measures as the years go by.
1. Moisturize every single night. Late nights out in your 20s may have distracted you from a consistent skincare regimen but no matter what age you are, you can always make this a habit. Moisturizing nightly has made a huge difference on my skin, and if you’re incorporating the retinol cream below it can be life changing. Just make sure you don’t give up on something if you don’t see results in the first week! Many products take time to work their magic.
2. Add a retinol cream to your regimen. Retinol helps stimulate the production of new skin cells, supports natural collagen production and they can reduce the appearance of dark spots and wrinkles. Over the counter retinol creams can do all of the above, such as Radha Beauty Retinol Moisturizer Cream (which is top rated but much less spendy than others), while quenching your skin with ample moisture. Many women begin using retinol on the face and eye area when they regularly notice signs of aging, but this is something you can do in your 30s and even earlier to ensure you’re skin looks healthy, bright and hydrated.
3. Get regular facials. I’ve talked about the importance of facial treatments – something we too often brush off as a luxury instead of a necessary step in our skincare routines. If this is something you’ve never considered before, your 30s is a great time to save room in the beauty budget for them. Facials can fight signs of aging, reduce acne and other skin issues and turn you on to the best type of products for your individual skin needs.
4. Don’t leave without sunscreen. So many of us know the importance of wearing sunscreen – it’s not like the sun’s rays are only harmful when we’re lounging on the beach during vacay – but this can be such a tough part to remember to incorporate into your routine. Well, if you’re in your 30s and aren’t doing it yet – it’s time to get on it! Sun exposure is proven to lead to premature aging, so if you don’t want to see the effects anytime soon, you have to actively work to combat it. I like to keep sunscreen near my makeup bag so that I don’t forget it when I’m getting ready in the morning. Look for a lightweight formula like BareMinerals Daily Prep that not only protects you from UVA/UVB, but makes for easy makeup application after.
5. Learn the power of essential oils. You may know about essential oils for relaxation or even home use, but they can also be powerful tools for youthful looking skin. Be on the lookout for skincare products with pure essential oils such as Green Clean Makeup Meltaway Cleansing Balm, Herbivore Botanicals Blue Clay Mask, or Earth Science Apricot Intensive Night Cream that can nourish skin while reducing the signs of aging. This goes for any skincare product, too – research which ingredients work best for YOU and use it to create a customized routine.
What’s been the most important habit for you when it comes to skincare? Any life changing products?